[plug] POSIX ACL support

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Feb 11 09:33:26 WST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:32:12PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> Hi Plug,
>
> I've heard around the traps that POSIX ACLs, when enabled, will allow
> somewhat more native Windows client permission support when using
> Samba.  Right or wrong, I'd like to give it a try :)
>
> I can't figure out how though.  Is the code already in the kernel and I
> can't find it?  Is it a patch?  Do they have another name I'm not aware
> of?  Is it all a hoax?

It's in 2.6 and there are patches for 2.4.23 at:
acl.bestbits.at  or similar.

The docs on that sitre are reasonable, bascially
1) apply patch
2) rebuild kernel
3) add ",acl,attr" to the appropriate line in fstab
4) reboot
5) install the acl and attr packages from debian
6) install samba
done.

The main gotcha is that only the owner of a file can modify the ACL's
themselvs.  I used to use them lots at Canning College for staff and
student accounts.  If you have any queries then drop me a line.

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://lca2005.linux.org.au/
        Apr 18-23 2005      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!