[plug] handling failed non-redundant storage in a server

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Feb 12 14:22:37 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 13:26, Brad Campbell wrote:
>

>>http://www.addonics.com (And they have a local distributor in Aus)
>>I am awaiting 3 of their removable sata caddies and a sata cardbus interface from the States. I'll
>>let you know what they are like when they hit deck.
>

> Yeah, the model II SATA variant looks ok:
>
> http://www.addonics.com/products/mobile_rack/aenrhdsa35-r.asp
>
> and I might just pick up a couple. Are those the ones you bought?

Nope...
http://www.addonics.com/products/combo_hdd/aechdsa35.asp

> I love the "interface throughput graph" on that page. They've just used
> the printed specifications for the interfaces rather than trying to
> display real-world performance - hence USB2 showing up as faster than
> FireWire. It's also amusing that they left of U320 SCSI and FC to make
> SATA look like the fastest.

Speaking of USB2 and Firewire I'm having a pig of a time at the moment with a couple of cardbus
adaptors on my laptop. When I enable the EHCI controller the usb bus just latches up when I try and
write to a bulk storage device. As a consolation it does the same under w2k on the same laptop so I
guess it's some hitch between the cardbus card and the controller <sigh>

With firewire I can't log into the device.
I hope I can get this Cardbus SATA controller to work!

> It's also interesting to see that they say that only the SII controllers
> support hot swap. Could've fooled me... perhaps they mean /of cheap PCI
> SATA controllers and on-board controllers/ only the SII appears to
> support hot-swap.

I believe the SII is probably the only one where it is well tested. The HPT is supposed to support
hotswap and the hardware probably does, but the software is still somewhat lacking.
Besided Addonics only supply the SII so the have to say that :p)

Brad