[plug] PCI VGA cards

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 13 21:41:05 WST 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:26:03PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 21:03, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> > About $100 for AOpen's GForce 4 MX 440 64MB PCI with TV out. Not too bad.
> > e.g.	http://www.trinix.com.au/r_vga.htm
> > Last section; under "PCI".
> >
> > Also see http://www.eyo.com.au/items_CatID_4_SubCatID_90.html
> > Cheapest is under $50, ATI Rage 8MB which is enough for undemanding
> > graphics, but I wouldn't foist it upon unsuspecting users.
> >
> > Pay the extra $50, just to keep the lusers quiet. :-)

> It's worth noting that price and 3D performance does not necessarily
> equate to good 2D workstation performance. Buy one of each if you can -
> you might find the Rage is faster. At worst you're out fifty bucks for
> an extra card, and at best you've saved $50*nwkstns - $100 if the Rage
> proves the better choice.

> Oh - and do tell us what you eventually get, especially if you try both.

The 8MB ATI Rage cards are fine for server consoles. I've used them
but there's a  fast AMD XP2800+ and a half a gigabyte RAM behind them.

Noticeable delays switching desktops under KDE. Bigger delays
switching virtual screen.

Worth a try with typical users... but don't buy a bunch until you're
sure that they'll do the trick. If one doesn't work out, keep it as
a "spare".