[plug] PCI VGA cards

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Feb 13 21:26:03 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 21:03, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> About $100 for AOpen's GForce 4 MX 440 64MB PCI with TV out. Not too bad.
> e.g.	http://www.trinix.com.au/r_vga.htm
> Last section; under "PCI".
>
> Also see http://www.eyo.com.au/items_CatID_4_SubCatID_90.html
> Cheapest is under $50, ATI Rage 8MB which is enough for undemanding
> graphics, but I wouldn't foist it upon unsuspecting users.
>
> Pay the extra $50, just to keep the lusers quiet. :-)

It's worth noting that price and 3D performance does not necessarily
equate to good 2D workstation performance. Buy one of each if you can -
you might find the Rage is faster. At worst you're out fifty bucks for
an extra card, and at best you've saved $50*nwkstns - $100 if the Rage
proves the better choice.

Oh - and do tell us what you eventually get, especially if you try both.

Craig Ringer