[plug] Linux demo

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Feb 17 03:43:53 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 00:28, Michael Collard wrote:

> Got lots to go on it so far so I would almost demand feedback :)

Cool.

Now for the feedback you demanded :-) I'm sure that there is more to
say, and I hope that you don't read this as negative feedback - you've
gotten off your arse to do this, I'm sitting here critiquing you from
the comfort of my lounge-room...

      * What's with the squiggles / old film noise over Tux?
      * The idea of the many faces of Linux is good, but showing logos
        distributions here is pointless, you're better off showing how
        or where it's being used.
      * The bits of the words that flash up (security/flexibility/etc.)
        when over the top of Tux, leave those bits lingering - if you
        actually made the lingering part a word, that would be cool,
        otherwise the effect is pointless
      * The games are OK, but I wouldn't show you selecting "Death
        Match", that sort of ruins the tone.
      * I'm not in favour of Wolfenstein as an example either...
      * Sound track is excellent.
      * Idea is there, but I get the feeling that you're not sure who
        your audience is. If you picture your audience, keep going back
        to who they are when you decide what to include.
      * The many distributions is a nice idea (just not in that spot),
        but I'd make the logos larger and try to incorporate them more
        into the movie, rather than have little boxes on the screen. (I
        don't mean stick them everywhere, I mean make them visually more
        part of the frame.)
      * The highlighting of the Microsoft Trade Mark heading dates your
        movie - who's to say that it will stay that way.
      * The idea of Freedom needs to be expanded - you need to talk
        about what freedoms...
      * The browsing is a nice idea, but if I was watching this, I'd
        want to know about Office, Email, Web in that order.
      * You need to talk about Open Source.
      * You need to give some idea of how much software is out there.
      * In the distributions, there are some missing...
      * Talk about schools / governments / municipalities / companies
        using this stuff.
      * Talk about user groups.
      * Talk about support.
      * Talk about *why* it is that you're so excited about Linux...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°15'14" - E140°28'19" (Barmera, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..