[plug] Network card initialisation order

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Tue Feb 17 10:33:34 WST 2004

Heya Pluggers,

I've had a bit of a google, and have tried a few things out, but without
luck.

I have a firewall/gateway running Debian Woody (2.4.18-686), with 4
NICs.

What I'm trying to do is specify which card is for which network for a
couple of reasons:
1. I have a 10mbit card which I want to use for the wireless network
2. It would be nice to look down the back and see the which network
cable is which by the order in which they are placed.

From what I have read it should be a case of setting the aliases for the
appropriate driver.
i.e.
putting the following into /etc/modutils/aliases
alias eth0              tulip
alias eth1              natsemi
alias eth2              sundance
alias eth3              ne2k-pci

then running update-modules and reboot and the order should match the
above. However it is not the case.

Other references I have seen mention editing
<kernel-source>/drivers/net/Makefile and changing the order in which the
modules are linked and recompiling. However I was hoping to avoid
compiling (particularly since the machine doesn't have any development
tools)

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Kirk