[plug] mplayer

richard yellin rhyellin at webtec.net.au
Tue Feb 17 18:26:06 WST 2004

Hi, hot enough for everyone.
I've been going round and round in circles trying to install MPlayer I
went looking for a MPlayer "howto" but had no luck using google+/-linux
except for a really good post on LinuxQuestions.Org (but not on my prob).

What I want to do is use the odd magazine DVD's (eg Linux Magazine -
german one) to install software, and play the v occas video (DVD).
I have a LG CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive.  It supports Region Playback
Control Phase II.
Also, Duron 1.1, 256 RAM, 40G drive (sure flies) and Red Hat 9 with
2.4-20.8

What I can't do is get a DVD to play and MPlayer to go.  A DVD in the
combo drive doesn't work (although audio and data CD's work).

I've enclosed an attachment with the error message I got on trying to use
MPlayer the first time.   Would someone kindly explain this (in
kindergarden lang, if poss).

I d/loaded the basic s. tarball for MPlayer and some codecs(extralite) and
a skin (neutron) and font (font-arial-iso-8859).    I followed Alastair
Cousins aricle in Dec 2003 Australian PC World which looked OK but had
some mistakes in it, which I managed to fix (and felt quite chuffed) and
installed the source tars ok
but got the error msg which I just don't know what to do next.

Actually, the neutron screen mounts with the message: "New-Face failed.
Maybe the font path is wrong.
                                                                                              Please
supply the text font file (~/mplayer/subfont.ttf)".

Thanks in anticipation
--
regards
richard