[plug] mplayer

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Wed Feb 18 11:27:45 WST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, richard yellin wrote:

> I've been going round and round in circles trying to install MPlayer I

Yes, the documentation is lacking. Easiest way is "urpmi mplayer", or
debian eqiv.  So whats your distro?

> What I want to do is use the odd magazine DVD's (eg Linux Magazine -
> german one) to install software,

How is that connected to mplayer?

> Also, Duron 1.1, 256 RAM, 40G drive (sure flies) and Red Hat 9 with
> 2.4-20.8

OK. Did you try the version included in RH9 for a start? That will not
play encrypted DVDs though.

> What I can't do is get a DVD to play and MPlayer to go.  A DVD in the
> combo drive doesn't work (although audio and data CD's work).

Can you see the files on a video DVD? It sounds like a CSS problem.
Do you have the CSS cracking compiled in?
Does mplayer play other video files? More info please!

> I've enclosed an attachment with the error message I got on trying to use

What is that attachment? Please post the errors in a plain ascii
attachment.

cheers, M