[plug] Finding a font

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 17 19:48:11 WST 2004

(I'm CC'ing you as I'm not sure whether the list is working... I haven't
received anything from it since 11:20, which is unusual.  Apologies if
you get two copies.)

Harry wrote:

| Is this the only source of fonts or can X, mozilla, and/or galeon
| fetch fonts from elsewhere ?

Sufficiently recent GTKs (like the one used by Mozilla in Sid) will use
fontconfig to fetch scalable fonts from wherever is listed in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, regardless of the X server's font path.  I don't
think this is the case in Woody though.

| Do you think I've discounted this by only having the misc font directory ?

Yeah, prob'ly.  If I use Konqueror under VNC restricted to just the misc
directory, I still get Arabic.  (Galeon under VNC finds other fonts
anyhow.)  The fonts used are different from Konqueror with a normal X
server with full font path, or Galeon.

As well as James's xlsfonts suggestion, I'd try "dpkg -L xfonts-base |
grep arabic" on your machine and the one that stubbornly refuses to
display BBC Urdu.  On my sid machine, I get:

$ dpkg -L xfonts-base | grep arabic
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/mulearabic-0.enc
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/mulearabic-1.enc
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/mulearabic-2.enc
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/arabic24.pcf.gz
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cu-arabic12.pcf.gz

The bottom two are the fonts which are presumably being used.  They're
present in the woody deb too.

Is the version of Mozilla being used the same on both machines?

Cheers,

Cameron.