copy protected cds, was:RE: [plug] ABC 7:30 Report - comments anyone?

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Wed Feb 18 09:08:11 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 15:56, John Knight wrote:
> I don't have anything particularly new to add to this, although I certainly
> agree it's a biased report. An issue I'd like to raise with the recording
> industry is copy protected CDs, I have problems with buying an inferior
> product, and for anyone who's unfamiliar with copy protected CDs (very
> fortunate ppl I should think), they have inbuilt flaws built into them so
> that PC CD-ROM drives have problems reading them (yo ucan generally get away
> with it at 1x speed, but that's another issue).

Are there different standards for the copy protection?
I have Ben Harper's Diamonds on the Inside CD which has some sort of
copy protection (its at home so I can't check who/what), however I can
play it in kscd without a problem (on debian woody). What's more the
copy protection was useless because using Konqueror I could just copy
the .wav files directly from the CD without any loss of quality.

Kirk