[plug] mplayer

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Feb 19 13:50:23 WST 2004

John Knight wrote:
>> Xine is nice, but I am having a pig of a time getting it do display
>> movies correctly on my projector. I have managed a 50hz X modeline, I
>> can enable deinterlacing but it simply makes the picture fuzzy, I
>> still get tearing when it's not syncing on vertical retrace.
>

> Change to another de-interlacing mode in the config area, the default
> one is a 'chep' de-interlacer and is rather blocky, use a more intensive
> one avaliable in the config menu. I'm sure xine and mplayer would use
> the same de-interlacing methods, try using the deinterlacer 'field'
> udner mplayer, looks horrible, dunnit?

According to the docs, when using syncfb xine is not capable of software deinterlacing, it uses the
deinterlacing built into the card.. I'll get into the source and have a look anyway.

As an aside, the mplayer mga_vid module works with xines syncfb driver if you rename your /dev/mga
to /dev/syncfb.
Teletux does not appear to cope well with newer 2.4 kernels and won't even look at compiling with
2.6. At least there are a couple of patches for the mga_vid driver to get it to compile on 2.6.

Not that I'm using 2.6 anyway. I'm using the Highpoint supplied driver for my HPT1540 cards and that
won't compile on 2.6 yet anyway.(The in-kernel highpoint drivers are buggy and unreliable with sata
controllers and the highpoint driver can be compiled from source with no binary objects if your not
using thier software raid)

Brad