[plug] Y-Windows project back in gear

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 17:02:01 WST 2004

In message <20040219082434.GA17861 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 04:24:34PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> One of the new clauses isn't so much about stopping people "claiming
> that they wrote XFree86" but requiring "prior written authorization from
> The XFree86 Project, Inc" to use the name XFree86 in advertising "or
> other dealings in this Software".
[...]
> Quoting from this post:
> 	http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/debian-legal-200402/msg00162.html
>
> 	[...] it seems to forbid publishing a magazine review of works
> 	so covered without prior written permission -- at least if one
> 	wants to name the copyright holder of the work one is using.

Devil must be in the details (as is often the case with licences). The
GPL-compatible BSD clause is:

Copyright (c) The Regents of the University of California...
4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
   may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
   software without specific prior written permission.

The X Window System clause is:

   Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder
   shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale,
   use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
   authorization of the copyright holder.

The existing XFree86 clause is:

Copyright (C) 1994-2003 The XFree86 Project, Inc...
   Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project
   shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale,
   use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
   authorization from the XFree86 Project.

The codebase also contains licences from other parties. But, anyway,
the new XFree86 clause is:

Copyright (C) 1994-2004 The XFree86 Project, Inc...
4. Except as contained in this notice, the name of The XFree86 Project,
   Inc shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale,
   use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
   authorization from The XFree86 Project, Inc.

I can't for the life of me see any 'freeness' differences between the
old and new XFree86 clauses. I thought the problem was instead with
clause #3.