[plug] Why XFree86 Licence 1.1 is a problem (was: Y-Windows)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Feb 20 09:47:17 WST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:22, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
> What's the big deal anyway? Are people having problems with the
> notion that they cant claim they wrote XFree86, or is this a more
> technical licensing issue?

The restriction that developers *must* include an advertising clause
conflicts with the GPL's "no further restrictions" clause. This causes
problems with building GPLed utilities against it, or including GPLed
components within it. Naturally, a GPL-centric distribution will trip
over this.

The FSF are apparently not viewing this with any great alarm, and it
seems likely that GPLv3, when it happens, is likely to specifically
allow for the option of this restriction. Until then the problem
stands, and unfortunately "ignore it" is not a long-term wise decision.

The Cooker people would be quite happy to add a splash screen to XFree86
(or even outside it in Mandrake's startup sequence), but are not happy
with a _requirement_ to do so, because of said conflict.

Meanwhile, Mandrake faces another problem, in that the owner of
"Mandrake the Magician" has decided that their use of the name
"Mandrake" in connection with a wizardy mascot constitutes infringement
of their rights.

The other X problem is that there is now a written-permission-first
clause about using "XFree", which to me looks ominously like setting-up
work for a more burdensome licence system.

Cheers; Leon