[plug] mandrake 9.4 startup

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Feb 19 20:08:43 WST 2004

filpee wrote:

| They are both setup as rwxr--r--
| Now I'm pretty new at this but from memory this means full access to owner
| But only readable to everyone else
| If this is the case I expect that it's the user "system" that would be
| trying

Where by "system", you mean "root", of course...  It's probably owned by
root too; but that doesn't matter, as root can execute the script if
/anyone/ has execute permission for it.

| To run this file there fore I need to set permissions to rwxr--r-x. is this
| right?

You shouldn't need to.  It's more normal to give it rwxr-xr-x (or 0755)
permissions, which means that anyone can read or execute, but only the
owner can write, but the permissions that you've got should work just as
well.

Do the scripts start with the appropriate magic line to mark them as a
shell script?  (Usually "#! /bin/sh".)  If you copied the script from
another machine, perhaps they have Windows or Mac style line endings?

Cameron.