[plug] Hdd probs - IBM deskstar experiences?

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 20 07:02:36 WST 2004

IBM DTLA-xxxx and 75GXP series were dodgey (I have 2/3 that work at the
moment)
Fujitsu MPGxxxx go to sleep by themselves (Cirrus Logic chips underneath)
Seagate Indonesian builds are suspect
WD xxxxJB's have had some bad sector batches (and are "de-optimised" for
RAID)
(others have not been rosy either)

If there's anything a computer company hates, it their HDD manufacturer.
Most physical computer repairs are either motherboard or hard disk related,
and between the drive makers dropping their 3 year warranties for 1 year and
changing manufacturing plants every three months, we would *love* to have a
nice reliable source of hard disks.

There's only so many failures at 18mths (ie just after the warranty runns
out) a customer can take before they start asking questions about their
purchasing choices.

Oh and don't get me started on crappy (ie the dodgey) capacitors blowing
around CPUs... We're still getting a steady stream of blown motherboards.

</rant>

Craig F.

PS Anybody buy the hitachi brand IBM drives recently, their pricing is
"rather impressive"?