Orange smoke (was: Re: [plug] Hdd probs - IBM deskstar experiences?)

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Feb 20 23:14:23 WST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:06:42 +0800 quadfour at iinet.net.au wrote:

> Found an interesting link for anyone with ABit mainboards, or LeadTek video cards:
>
> http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Feb/bch20030207018535.htm
>
> It would seem these GSC capacitors that are on this video card are absolute
> rubbish. Should be easy enough to replace too, its a 1000uF 6.3V one. RS
> Components in osborne park apparently have some.

Hi Michael

Yes, on a more serious note (me?? *gasp* :), I've posted similar links on
PLUG about the venting caps.

It's important to select what are called low ESR (Equivalent Series
Resistance) types of electro caps. To match yours, you will also need the
same leg spacing (that's the capacitors legs). Flip the board and measure
that as accurately as you can. These distances are meant to follow a
standard these days but supply suffers from:
"One standard is good, more is better".

If they are surface mount, RS has those too.

You can check the RS Components parts on-line and seek advice if you need it.

http://www.rswww.com.au/

cu
Harry

ps I have a soldering iron and I'm not afraid to use it.

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/