[plug] Need Help convincing Dad he doesn't need M$ Office 03

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Feb 23 19:48:57 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 17:08, Tim White wrote:
;snip
> What I am look for from this list are 2 things:
> 1) Arguments to convince him to stay (Probably with an upgrade to 1.1.1)

The best way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it. Now if your
dad is a reasonable kind of guy you can come to an agreement. Is there
something that he wants you to do or try that you don't?

Perhaps you can tell him about how open source software can help
countries (Australia included) to cut their reliance on the United
States and decrease their foreign debt. And how allowing people to
access the source code allows news developers to gain skills.

To show how strongly you feel about this for each month that he is using
OpenOffice you will:

* Wash and vacuum all the floors
* Tidy up the kitchen
* Clean the bathrooom
* Do the gutters
* Mow the lawn

You may only need to keep it up for a couple of months then you can
bring migrating Linux into the equation.

> 2) Some tips on how to easily update 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 on both Win and Linux
> Thanks
Under Windows I just uninstalled the old ver and installed the new one
but this was going from 1 to 1.1 so I'm not sure.

With Debian can just apt-get update && apt-get -u upgrade

> Tim
> p.s. If you have tips on convincing him that Office 03 is really bad then
> that would be cool as well (i.e. how seriously flawed it is)
>
> weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA

Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.