[plug] Need Help convincing Dad he doesn't need M$ Office 03

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Mon Feb 23 19:44:51 WST 2004

MS Office 2003 is seriously flawed.  I mean Microsoft are spouting all
these new features, but reading between the lines, a few of them are now
being controlled server-side (i.e. you need to now definitely have a
Windows server in your network to get the full features).  Its the same
thing they did with Outlook XP versus Outlook 2002, they made the
calendar and task sharing functionality in XP only function with a
Windows server running Exchange, when previously in 2000 you could share
calendars and tasks in a peer-to-peer style that sent updates via email.

MS Office 2003 is another update that is trying to ensure vendor lock-in
even more.  I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's next tactic would be
to try and bundle all PCs at the OEM level with Windows *and* MS Office
as a mandatory feature.

Its a constant and expensive upgrade cycle that Microsoft is trying to
force people into and its not a good thing.

/ Ben