[plug] Trying to remove a kernel-image

laurie anderson vautin at aijv.com.au
Wed Feb 25 13:23:21 WST 2004

   Afternoon,

   Monday night at UWA was a screeming success, well at least I thought so.

   Today I was installing kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7 it didn't install correctly got
   E: dpkg was interupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct
   the problem

   did that got no messages back

   if I do 'dpkg -r kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7'  get the following

   dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7 (--remove)
    package is in a very bad inconsistant state - you should
    reinstall it before attempting a removal.
    kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7

   did 'apt-get --reinstall install kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7
   .
   .
   Do you want to stop now (Y/n)n
   Unpacking replacement kernel-image-2.4.24-1-k7 ...
   E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg recieved a segment fault.
   dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

   system hangs at this point until I do control/C or hit return

   also tried  'apt-get --purge remove'  etc

   HELP just exactly what do I have to do to remove the kernel-image ??????

   Laurie