[plug] ext3 attr support

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Feb 25 13:48:26 WST 2004

Howdy,

I finally got a few seconds to try acl and attr support with a view to
seeing what Samba thinks of it all.  I patched a 2.4.24 kernel with
stuff from here: http://acl.bestbits.at/

It isn't all working exactly how I expected just yet so I'm hoping this
is due to the following problem, and not my gross misunderstanding of
the subject matter :)

As per Tony's (thank you) instructions, I turned all the options on and
recompiled:

CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_SHARING=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_USER=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_TRUSTED=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

Then I installed acl and attr.

Edited /etc/fstab and added acl,attr  and then I am told:

	EXT3-fs: Unrecognised mount option attr

The acl options work and I've been sort-of-happily playing with the acl
tools.  Got problems with Linux obeying the ACLs, but I can set/view
them fine and Samba sort of plays ball with them - it can see and set
user based acl permissions and see (not set) group acl permissions.

Anyone got any ideas why the attr one is balking?  I can't find any help
on the 'net so far.

- Is there a kernel option hiding somewhere else that I missed perhaps?
Grepping for ATTR in the kernel config only shows the ones I pasted
above.
- Is attr a subset of acl and thus already activated?
- If I was to get the attr stuff going, is that likely to fix the small
problems I'm having with ACLs? ... or am I completely missing the point?
:)

Thanks,

Ryan