[plug] df mandrake 9.1 -> 9.2

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jan 1 18:41:35 WST 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 09:45:03AM +0000, Mungo TheB wrote:
> anyone got an idea of why    df is now reporting the below??

> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part8
>                       19G  3.2G   15G  18% /

This is just devfs in action. In order to clean up the mess that was
/dev, somebody a while ago decided to make everything hierachial and
"tidy", and the worse sufferers seem to be hard disks. The
advantages are that in a devfs /dev, you'll only see the devices
that *actually* exist on your system.

So /dev/hdb8 is the same as /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part8

If you're running devfsd, then references to /dev/hda* style devices
will be magically converted for you. If you're that terrified of
them, you can make sure devfsd is running, and then change the lines
in /etc/fstab to their old-school equivalents. (Backup /etc/fstab
first and have a rescue disk handy incase something goes wrong).

Though I heard from somebody that devfsd will even be deprecated
soon (by the time kernel 2.8 comes around), so you may find in two
years, they'll be back with little you can do about it. But that may
not be the case either :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>