[plug] df mandrake 9.1 -> 9.2

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jan 1 18:53:52 WST 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 06:41:35PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:

| If you're running devfsd, then references to /dev/hda* style devices
| will be magically converted for you. If you're that terrified of
| them, you can make sure devfsd is running, and then change the lines
| in /etc/fstab to their old-school equivalents. (Backup /etc/fstab
| first and have a rescue disk handy incase something goes wrong).

I don't think that changing /etc/fstab will fix this.  e.g.:

$ grep /bigdrive /etc/fstab
/dev/hda4 /bigdrive     reiserfs        defaults	0 0
$ mount | grep /bigdrive
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 on /bigdrive type reiserfs (rw)
$ df -H
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
[...]
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4
                        73G    22G    52G  30% /bigdrive

If you have devfs compiled into the kernel, you will /always/ get
devfs-style device names in the output of df (and possibly also mount),
even if you aren't actually using devfs.

| Though I heard from somebody that devfsd will even be deprecated
| soon (by the time kernel 2.8 comes around), so you may find in two
| years, they'll be back with little you can do about it. But that may
| not be the case either :)

Actually devfs is already deprecated in 2.6, in favour of udev (which
is very very alpha at the moment, but lives outside the kernel so the
kernel people all love it[1] *grin*) and hotplug.

Cameron.

[1] It works by parsing information from /sys and mknod()ing the
corresponding devices in /dev, which can then either live on a ramdisc
or be part of your root fs like it usually is.