[plug] kernel panic tip

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 2 09:15:36 WST 2004

In message <20040101162024.GC1185 at amidala>
on Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 12:20:24AM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> If you specify panic=<x> on the commandline where x is some
> positive integer,

Interesting. I always like my machines to reset as soon as possible, so
I'd be all for your plan. However, I'm comfortable with it because I
know they'll produce various dumps and logs that I can analyse later,
and that they will boot from a fallback boot device if necessary. The
only downside is that I've probably forgotten to commit some
configuration changes properly and I'm going to have to remember to
start/reconfigure after reboot :) But, back to Linux, I remember some
discussion on this list last year that suggests Linux might lose some of
its state information upon reboot, so I suppose you might want to keep
that in mind if you set it to reboot automatically. I'm not really clear
on this point, though.