[plug] re: Microsoft helpful for pilots

richard yellin rhyellin at webtec.net.au
Fri Jan 2 16:16:58 WST 2004

Before the jolly season is over, I thought that I would pass on this hot
news item. (Apologies to those who've already seen it).

A helicopter was flying across Seattle when a sudden electrical storm
knocked out all of it's navigation and communication systems.  Flying along
not knowing what to do, the pilot saw a huge building ahead.

Flying up close, the pilot saw a small group of people watching him from a
skyscraper window.  He got out a sheet of paper, wrote "Where am I?" on it
and held it up to the helicopter's window.

He watched as the people at the window quickly scribbled a sign and held it
up, which read "You are in a helicopter".

Smiling, the pilot waved then looked down at his map and marked Seattle
heliport, then flew off and landed safely.

"How'd you do that?" asked the heliport controller.

"Easy" said the pilot "it had to be the Microsoft building because like
their helplines, online help systems and support manuals, they gave me a
technically correct but completely useless answer.
--
regards

richard