[plug] ppp dial-in

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Jan 3 17:03:54 WST 2004

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 05:10:32PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> After reading various documents on the setting up a dial-in server
> in Debian, still not having any luck.  As a matter of fact there
> are no real logs of what is happening except in syslog.  I would
> have thought I would have some information in the
> /var/log/messages file.

/var/log/syslog and /var/log/debug will probably hold the most
debugging info.

> The user is reporting to me that they get the following message:
> "failed to connect to remote computer"
> I have to assume that there is no connection being made as I was
> watching the log when the user was trying to dial in there were no
> information being recorded.
>
> /var/log/syslog
> Jan  3 16:47:55 mlfs1 pppd[171]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x4f magic=0x4fcc2205]
> Jan  3 16:47:55 mlfs1 pppd[171]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x4f magic=0xf57ccd67]
> Jan  3 16:48:25 mlfs1 pppd[171]: sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x50 magic=0x4fcc2205]
> Jan  3 16:48:25 mlfs1 pppd[171]: rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x50 magic=0xf57ccd67]

These are showing the keepalive packets that are being sent by the
ppp link. The fact that they are being sent & received means that
some PPP connection exists. Does this server have a link to the
outside world using PPP? If so, that might be what is generating
these messages.

Dial into the remote machine with minicom on linux or hyperterminal
and see what you get. Something along the lines of:

-> ATZDT<insert phone number>
*pause*
<- CONNECT

If ppp is started instantly, then you'll see some garbage that
starts like "~ÿ}#À!}!}!} }4}". And if you've gotten this far there
should definitely be more info in the /var/log/syslog or debug.

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>