[plug] make modules for 2.6 doesn't do what it should

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Sun Jan 4 11:06:23 WST 2004

Hello,

I'm playing with a Morphix HD install right night I have installed 2.6 and 2.6 with Ruby
patches but find that I am missing most of my modules.

I downloaded the source from kernel.org and placed it in /usr/src then configured it
using "make config" and compiled it using the command "make" which created the
the bzimages that I now point lilo to.

Make modules gives me (although this is running it now I didn't keep what it did the
first time):

make[1]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST

"make modules_install" gives:

   INSTALL drivers/net/dummy.ko
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.6.0; fi

and under /lib/modules/2.6.0/kernel/

I only have drivers -> net -> dummy.ko

all the .c and .h files are still in:

/usr/src/2.6.0/drivers

I'm using quite recent version of everything such as gcc and make but let me know if
you want me to dig up the exact numbers or if there is any log files you want me to
create /check.

Any idea as how to fix this?

thanks,

Chris Caston