[plug] reinstall for new core hardware?

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Mon Jan 5 17:17:14 WST 2004

Thanks for the advice from Daniel Pearson, James Budworth, James
Devenish and Craig Ringer.  It all looks to be as straight-forward as I
was hoping it would be.

I'm using lilo because it's what I'm used to.  I am using a stock
kernel, so I will try what Craig suggested, i.e. using urpmi to install
the smp kernel.  The order of drives isn't changing so that shouldn't be
an issue.  (In fact what is actually happening is that the motherboard
is being changed, the hard drives are staying in the case, but it seemed
somehow easier to explain it the way I did).

The fact that Linux autodetects hardware on boot, while Windows (I
think) keeps a persistent configuration, seems to be quite a substantial
difference between the two systems.  Imagine going through the Windows
driver installation process everytime you turn your PC on...
"installation successful: please reboot your computer" ;-/

I'll post the results to the list, including any problems I run into,
once things are up and running again.

Regards,
Ben

--