[plug] reinstall for new core hardware?

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 5 22:36:53 WST 2004

<snip>

> I'm not even sure if this is a general Linux question, or
> more specifically a Mandrake question (probably both
> actually) so any advice or info would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>

> --
> Ben New
> ben at leftclick.com.au

The Nightshade N440BX is nothing special...
The only problem I've found is some distro's choke on the dual-channel
symbios SCSI on-board.
(incessant SCSI timeouts even when properly terminated and/or nothing on the
chain)
Other than that, the CirrusLogic 5480 uses Xfree's SVGA module, NIC uses
e100/eepro100 (take your pick) and once it's up and running with the
uniprocessor kernel, you can update to an SMP kernel  using urpmi. (also
gives you a chance to have both uni- and multi-processor kernel options in
lilo

PS It runs WhiteBox Linux 3.0a and doesn't bat an eyelid :P

Craig F.