[plug] Linux and ACLs - bit more info!

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 6 12:06:22 WST 2004

Thanks, Bill and Craig.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > Go for reieserfs.
>
> He's probably going to want ACL support in the filesystem, and I believe
> that's currently best supported under ext3 and XFS. Under other
> circumstances I'd agree with you - though it's worth noting that neither
> reiserfs nor ext3 need a regular fsck for normal operation.

Hmmm... fortunately this server will not be in demand 24/7 so I have some
windows of opportunty to do fsck'ing via a cron job.   I thought I'd heard
some bad things about XFS - maybe just dreaming.

> Speaking of which - I understand that Samba 3.0 supports ACLs in the
> filesystem, and can even allow you to edit the ACLs from a Windows
> NT/2k/XP workstation using the standard windows GUI. As such, I'd start
> by experimenting with that, and see how you go. I haven't personally
> worked with this setup yet, so I can't offer practical experiences, but
> it seems a good place to start.

Thanks for that tip, Craig.   This will be a production environment so I'd
better do my homework well in advance so there are not too many bounces to
annoy people while I fine tune things.   For admin the GUI might be nice
but I've grown used to editing config files :-(   There is a famous quote
about that somewhere, isn't there, comparing config file editing types
with people from the poorer regions of the World? :-)

Cheers,
Denis