[plug] Linux and ACLs - bit more info!

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jan 6 11:29:00 WST 2004

Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Go for reieserfs.

He's probably going to want ACL support in the filesystem, and I believe
that's currently best supported under ext3 and XFS. Under other
circumstances I'd agree with you - though it's worth noting that neither
reiserfs nor ext3 need a regular fsck for normal operation.

Speaking of which - I understand that Samba 3.0 supports ACLs in the
filesystem, and can even allow you to edit the ACLs from a Windows
NT/2k/XP workstation using the standard windows GUI. As such, I'd start
by experimenting with that, and see how you go. I haven't personally
worked with this setup yet, so I can't offer practical experiences, but
it seems a good place to start.

Craig Ringer