[plug] help with ftp and debian..

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 7 23:21:38 WST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Paul Stone wrote:

> hey im pretty much a linux newbie and just managed to install debian, I was
> wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction to
> installing an ftp service on this machine, as i want to use it as a web
> server and send files from my other machines to it.

Dear Paul,

Others have given you the apt-get commands you'll need.   One point
though... if security is a valuable asset for you consider that ftp is not
the World's most secure file transfer methodology.   You might want to
investigate scp (secure copy).   apt-get install scp if my memory is
accurate.   If your "other machines" happen to be Linux no worries.   If
they are Windows then check out a few of the free secure copy applications
- pscp from the PuTTY people, FileZilla which you can get from sourceforge.

One thing I have noticed though... Linux-to-Linux via scp runs like a
scalded cat.   Windows-to-Linux using either pscp or FileZilla runs like
glue.   Not yet had time to figure out why :-(

Hope this helps,
Denis