[plug] help with ftp and debian..

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Jan 8 00:09:41 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 23:21, Denis Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Paul Stone wrote:
>
> > hey im pretty much a linux newbie and just managed to install debian, I was
> > wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction to
> > installing an ftp service on this machine, as i want to use it as a web
> > server and send files from my other machines to it.
> >
> Dear Paul,
>
> Others have given you the apt-get commands you'll need.   One point
> though... if security is a valuable asset for you consider that ftp is not
> the World's most secure file transfer methodology. ;snip

There's lots of ways to transfer files, I won't begin to list them, and
I guess it really depends on what Paul needs it for. scp doesn't allow
public access quite like ftp does if that's why he wants it.

Of course there is sftp or ftp over ssh (no plain text passwords) that
can be used. And installing ftpd in a jail chroot could help.

> plug mailing list
> plug at plug.linux.org.au
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.