[plug] help with ftp and debian..

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 8 09:28:48 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0401072259440.6651-100000 at guild.murdoch.edu.au>
on Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:01:10PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> apt-get install ftpd

I would suggest using pure-ftpd or proftpd instead. I have been using
proftpd around the place because it was the best option that I was aware
of some years ago. However, many people are of the opinion that the
world would be a better place using pure-ftpd instead of proftpd. Since
I am also having increasing difficulty compiling proftpd on non-Linux
systems, I am considering migrating to pure-ftpd as a progressive
strategy. However, proftpd has been a solid performer for me (and I have
been lucky enough not to have had any bad security experiences with it,
either).

In message <Pine.LNX.4.56.0401072314280.26841 at cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
on Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:21:38PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> One point though... if security is a valuable asset for you consider
> that ftp is not the World's most secure file transfer methodology.

Just as a point of interpretation: there are many aspects to "security",
and I think that Denis is probably referring to the fact that FTP
transmits data "in the clear". This means that passwords and sensitive
data are not protected from prying eyes on insecure networks. Not
usually a problem in itself on a private, wired, home LAN.