[plug] GRUB

Adam Hewitt adam.hewitt at globaldial.com
Thu Jan 8 12:04:28 WST 2004

On 08/01/2004, at 11:25 AM, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:11:27AM +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
>> I have installed grub on my desktop at work and now the bloody thing
>> wont boot (all I get is a grub> prompt). Here are my partition details
>> and grub.conf
>
> If you didn't specify the menu file at install time (or let the grub
> install program do it for you), then you'll need to type in the
> commands to boot manually:
>
> kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda7
> boot
>
>> /dev/hda5             383         395      104391   83  Linux
>
> Is this /boot? I've seen that grub will insist on being in
> /boot/grub/ on the boot parition, meaning that in some cases it
> comes out to be /boot/boot/grub/ ... Did you use grub-install?
>
>> Could one of you grub gurus please tell me what I am doing wrong
>> here, I
>> have been trying for hours...
>
> How did you install it? The is how I installed grub on my laptop,
> with a single / partition on hda3 containing /boot as well.  (I find
> grub-install is unreliable with devfs). If you can boot up with a
> rescue disk or CD, mount your partitions and chroot into it, then
> run:
>
> # grub
>
> grub> install (hd0,2)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,2)/boot/grub/stage2
> (hd0,2)/boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> Where my menu.lst is your grub.conf. If /boot is separate, then
> you'll want to use the grub partition for it, and drop the /boot.
<SNIP>

One gotcha which I just discovered is that grub can't follow simlinks
to another partition (seems obvious now but didn't click when I set it
up). But it is all working now, thanks for your help.

Adam.

PS. What does grub-install do if it doesn't do the equivilent to the
"grub> install ...<blah>" line you have above (which fixed my
problem)??