[plug] GRUB

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jan 8 18:50:28 WST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:04:28PM +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> One gotcha which I just discovered is that grub can't follow simlinks
> to another partition (seems obvious now but didn't click when I set it
> up). But it is all working now, thanks for your help.

Great :)

> PS. What does grub-install do if it doesn't do the equivilent to the
> "grub> install ...<blah>" line you have above (which fixed my
> problem)??

I honestly have no idea. There's a device map it wants to install,
but when using devfs it seems to get really confused about things.
I suspect it's trying to be overly clever and shooting itself in the
foot in the process. Using grub directly has been much more reliable
to me.

My 2c in the Grub/LILO flame - The sad thing is, grub is a bit more
intimidating to setup for the new first-time user (cf lilo), but is
just that much better as a bootloader. The number of times I'd
forgotten to run lilo... IMHO, a server or system which only boots
one kernel and doesn't get kernel upgrades too often, and if you
don't want to learn or teach somebody to learn GRUB, then stick with
LILO. But if you're changing kernels 4 or 5 times a day, you will be
thanking grub before you know it :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>