[plug] Supported wireless cards under Linux

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Thu Jan 8 19:08:49 WST 2004

Cameron,

> I've managed to borrow a laptop to take to LCA, but it has no wireless
> card. :-/  PLE advertise a $50 "GENERIC PCMCIA 802.11B #" - is that more
> likely to work under Linux than not, or is buying a wireless card for
> use under Linux a matter of carefully researching which cards are
> supported and which aren't?

Orinoco based cards are known to work. Minitars do work (but not altogether
too well). You'd get a better response if you could determine the actual
chipset that the "generic" card uses...

I don't know *who* PLE are - would they let you try one out?

DSL

--
"Theoden is a kindly old man. Denethor is another sort, proud
 and subtle, a man of far greater lineage and power, though

For this week and the next, consider me as Denethor; if you
wish the Steward's kindness, then make no haste to insult him,
or the lands under his watch.