[plug] Old laptop

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Jan 12 16:07:30 WST 2004

G'day all,

I'm trying to help out in the development of some PDA software and to do this I really need an old
slow laptop.
I really need an RDTSC counter for accurate profiling though so an old Pentium would be ideal (The
slower the better!).

I only need about 32mb of ram (16 would probably be ok) and less than 200MB of hard disk.
Colour VGA and sound is required (With a 2.4 kernel I need working sound output Alsa or OSS is fine
and I need a 16bit VGA framebuffer of some kind).
A working battery is not required.

I gave my grandmother an old Compaq Pentium-100 with a built in trackball that would be ideal.

Failing that a 386 or 486 would do the job I guess, the slower the better, but I really need the
16bit Framebuffer.

I prefer trackballs to touchpads, but beggars can't be choosers.

Renumeration negotiable :p)

I will be in Perth from the 29th of Jan to the 4th of Feb if anything pans out :p)

In case your wondering, I'm an efficiency freak. Minimal ram usage, cpu cycles and context switches
to the limit of practicality and the best way of doing this is with a Sllooooooww machine.
I had an old 386sx16 that I used to use at home but had to leave it behind when I moved countries.

Now I'm space limited and have to move around a bit thus the request for a laptop :p)

Regards,
Brad