[plug] Power down

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jan 14 13:44:09 WST 2004

Ryan wrote:

| On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 11:57, laurie anderson wrote:
| >  Shutting down the system, everything is normal right through to
| >  the power down message.
| >  When I physically try & switch the power off  at the computer nothing
| >  happens, so switch off at the power point, discovered the other day at
| >  if I hit the reboot button & then the computers off button that
| >  works.
| >  The thing is I shouldn't have to do any of this except hit the on/off
| >  button on the computer.
|
| Just to clarify - are you holding the power button in for 5 seconds or
| so to attempt to turn it off?

I would guess he isn't.  In an attempt at being helpful, I would tend to
install either apmd or acpid (or both if you aren't sure which your
machine uses) and then either compile yourself a kernel with apm and/or
acpi support; or install an appropriate precompiled Debian kernel for
your architecture, which will probably have the required drivers
compiled into it.  Note that the default kernel that you get when you
install woody /doesn't/ support power management of any kind, whereas
the ones you'll find in the Debian archive probably do[1].

Cameron.

[1] I don't use them myself but I believe they have pretty much
everything you could ever need either compiled in or available as a
module.