[plug] Power down

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Jan 14 12:05:53 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 11:57, laurie anderson wrote:
>  Shutting down the system, everything is normal right through to
>  the power down message.
>  When I physically try & switch the power off  at the computer nothing
>  happens, so switch off at the power point, discovered the other day at
>  if I hit the reboot button & then the computers off button that
>  works.
>  The thing is I shouldn't have to do any of this except hit the on/off
>  button on the computer.

Just to clarify - are you holding the power button in for 5 seconds or
so to attempt to turn it off?

Sometimes the BIOS lets you change the power button function - instant
off/variable delays.  I'm constantly greeted by people every day here at
work that don't know you have to hold the power button in for a while -
so I'm just checking :)

Ryan