[plug] When is the next installfest?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jan 15 17:06:34 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

>>I think you'll find Debian behind the pack in terms of packaging the
>>latest versions of everything.
>
> Debian packages a lot of the latest versions, but there are some
> big-name items (e.g. XFree86) that aren't mainstream.

Debian _unstable_ and _testing_ do. Debian stable only just got gtk2
before release, and the included gtk2 version is too old for basically
anything to work with it. I think XFree86 is at 4.1 in woody.

I must agree with Simon Scott on this: I see very little appeal to
Debian if your reason for the distro change is newer software and easier
lib upgrades. I actually find RH Fedora to be very good in this regard;
I've had very little trouble dropping in updated libs in the (rare)
cases when I need them.

Craig Ringer