[plug] Tape device goes missing

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Jan 19 13:32:56 WST 2004

> So ... it looks like the kernel has lost the tape driver or the tape
> device. Can you 'rmmod st'? What does `cat /proc/scsi/scsi` have to say?

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 15 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 01 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: CDRM00203     !K Rev: 1.00
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 01 Id: 11 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C5683A           Rev: C005
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

looks, sounds, feels and smells normal.

st is not a module - when I upgrade the kernel next time I'll make it as
such - I guess it comes in handy as a last resort attempt to rectify
spillage when things like this happen.  I too would be interested if a
module reload would fix this problem .. or maybe even stop it occurring.

I have a habit of non-modularising things in the kernel unless it MUST
be a module (should I change my ways?), and this often comes back to
bite me on the arse in situations such as this one :)

Thanks,

Ryan