[plug] police & nurses credit society netlink page

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 20 07:46:15 WST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:10, Tsuki-yomi wrote:

> What ticks me off about all this is that just changing the browser ID gets
> everything working.  You shouldn't have to do that, it should work
> no matter what browser you tell it you are using.

Not true.

Its a very good idea to try to determine the capabilities of the browser so
you dont send unrenderable crap, and can safely use the more advanced
features of some of the browsers. I think everyone should at least have a
text only version, a basic HTML version, and then a more advanced version
with js etc. XML and XSL will help you with this too.

The main problem is that developers dont test on all the different browsers,
and thus have no idea of the capabilities of the majority of them. Also,
there are few resources on the net that give a true, independent evaluation
of each browser and lays it out in an easy to read format.... if someone
finds this let me know :)

Then again, I doubt very much that these yahoos would bother to try to support
other browsers in that way.... something else must be corrupting the html....
has anyone ever tested the output of IIS based on the browser ID you send it?
;)

How does the pncs site html differ with the 2 different browser IDs?