[plug] Copy of my response to SCO ANZ, FYI

sscott at iinet.net.au sscott at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 21 11:01:38 WST 2004

The thing that really gets me about this whole fiasco is that even if SCO could
prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Linux kernel did in fact contain SCO
owned code, it would still be illegal and a violation of the GPL for them to
ask for license fees in this manner.

All they could hope for would be for a judge to stop the distribution of linux
until the offending code is removed. Through this action, they are basically
saying that they own *all* of linux and are allowed to relicense it as they see
fit. This is a direct violation of the rights of those who actually *do* own
the code, and Im surprised that SCO arent being sued into the ground by anyone
who has ever contributed anything substantial to the linux kernel.