[plug] Wireless newbie questions

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 18:18:14 WST 2004

I want to switch at least part of my LAN to wireless. I have so many long
cables around the place it's just not funny any more!

I'd like to have the linux firewall box have a wireless card in it, so I can
stick it in the corner near the phone socket and leave it there. I have two
main boxes which would probably remain on cables for the time being, and then
one Windows2000 laptop and one Linux laptop which I'd like to be able to use
without cables. The laptops would need to be able to see the main machines,
since that's where their files are, and everything needs to be able to see
the firewall to get to the 'net.

Initially speed isn't a priority, but I'd like to be able to have a high speed
option for the two main machines should I choose to make them wireless later
in the year.

I haven't a clue about wireless. Can anyone suggest the hardware I would need
to make this setup - preferably stuff I can wander out and buy in Perth
tomorrow? :o)

--
> eatapple
core dump