[plug] configure dial-in service

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Mon Jan 26 08:54:30 WST 2004

On 1/25/04 at 9:38 PM Jon Miller wrote:

>Been having some issues with configuring dial-in service on a Debian
>server.  The problem is whenever the user dials in, those on the local
>LAN looses connection to either e-mail or Internet surfing or both.

Sounds very much like your dialin pppd session is changing your default
route. Check the man pages for ppp options, you can prevent that from
happening.
You could always add the routing info to the server dialin answer script.
(this would
be a kludge to get things working as a last resort.

>The question I have is can the user dialing in be configured to use a
>different ip address other than the local LAN?

Yes! you would need a login script on the server to handle it You could
configure
DHCP to do the IP assigning for PPPD sessions on ttSxx lines or use DNS.

Mark