[plug] the best tool for the job (was: 64 bit machines)

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 26 12:04:19 WST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:32, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Simon Scott wrote:
> Personally from a business point of view, I reckon that ROI is something
> that people should be thinking about more than TCO.  What if a solution
> from Vendor A had a higher TCO than a solution from Vendor B, but the
> solution from Vendor A gave you a higher and quicker ROI?  In that the
> solution from Vendor A might have cost more, but was more suited to the
> task, provided greater functionality and provided a better product
> and/or service to your customers.

I concede. My words were chosen poorly.

I actually have a somewhat expanded idea of TCO, not just monetary. But yes,
its all value for dollar in the end.

For anyone who is wondering what all the TLAs are (Three Letter Acronyms), TCO
is Total Cost of Ownership, and ROI is Return on Investment. I hate TLAs with
a passion, and am heard quite often in meetings saying 'speak english you