[plug] the best tool for the job (was: 64 bit machines)

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Mon Jan 26 11:32:27 WST 2004

Simon Scott wrote:

>The best OS/word processor/lawn management tool on the market is the one which
>best solves the client's requirements in terms of functionality, TCO and
>scope for future requirements.

Personally I don't believe that the "TCO" argument is the thing that
people should be focusing on myself at all.  At the moment there seems
to be a fixation on TCO and thats what Microsoft is trying to make
everyone believe that Windows is cheaper than Linux on.

Personally from a business point of view, I reckon that ROI is something
that people should be thinking about more than TCO.  What if a solution
from Vendor A had a higher TCO than a solution from Vendor B, but the
solution from Vendor A gave you a higher and quicker ROI?  In that the
solution from Vendor A might have cost more, but was more suited to the
task, provided greater functionality and provided a better product
and/or service to your customers.

For instance a comparison in that scenario would be Microsoft Frontpage
vs Macromedia Dreamweaver for a web development company.  Sure,
Frontpage might have a lower TCO than Dreamweaver, but Dreamweaver gives
you more functionality and the end result of web pages that you are
producing for clients would be far superior.  So happy clients =
returning clients and word of mouth from those happy clients to gain
more clients, so the return on that more expensive investment is higher
than the cheaper option.

Of course, thats not always the case.  A more expensive option might not
achieve a better ROI than a cheaper option.  So really IMHO, if you're
only pushing a TCO argument, you're not addressing what really matters
from a business point of view, and thats ROI.

/ Ben