[plug] 64 bit machines

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 26 12:17:40 WST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:11:59 +0800
gpearson at iinet.net.au wrote:

> FYI, there is a version of Windows XP 64 bit -
> http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/64bit/default.asp
>
> And it has been out for quite some time :-)

True, I was concentrating on the advantage of operating system being 64bit by running 64bit software.. Not to mention being able to run in dual processor mode..
(Which is why both the boards I mentioned were dual processor Opterons.. And I was talking about a Gentoo optimised 64bit OS.)

Not to mention it not costing an arm plus that spare leg.. 8^)==
The cost of a multiprocessor version of Windows (where available) for either 64bit Itanium or Opteron is not something you'd find easy to justify.. 8^)==
And if you were buying the machine for server duties... Yeewwwww.

Garry