[plug] Telstra rort

hooker at iinet.net.au hooker at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 27 17:39:29 WST 2004

Quoting Pete Blackhouse <pete.blackhouse at iinet.net.au>:
>> Has anybody else been stung like this?
>
> Not yet. I'm in a very similar position, and have faced exactly the same
> issues with the same unhelpful response. I have yet to find the result of my
> gamble.
>
> I move house on Sunday. The new phone line is being connected on Thursday
> (i.e. 2 days time - I have a few days overlap where I'm actually renting two
> houses), so I should know whether I can have broadband after being in the
> house for a week or so. I took the precaution of signing a lease for 3 months
>
> with an option to extend, and I did that for exactly this reason. If I can't
>
> have broadband I can bail out. The other half won't be impressed if we have
> to move again in 3 months, but that's what we're going to do if the test
> comes up negative.
>
> I fully sympathise. Are there any broadband options for someone in your
> position? A friend told me it's possible to receive broadband over a Foxtel
> cable if the house has such a thing.

AFAIK very little of Perth has fibre laid, so Foxtel over cable is uncommon
which would make broadband over cable unlikely in most suburbs. iHug offer
satellite, but I don't know much about the product.

I periodically consider moving, but the problems of finding somewhere else that
I like with broadband makes the whole thing just too hard. At least here in
Kardinya, I've got ADSL.

Hooker