[plug] Telstra rort

Pete Blackhouse pete.blackhouse at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 27 16:58:09 WST 2004

> Has anybody else been stung like this?

Not yet. I'm in a very similar position, and have faced exactly the same
issues with the same unhelpful response. I have yet to find the result of my
gamble.

I move house on Sunday. The new phone line is being connected on Thursday
(i.e. 2 days time - I have a few days overlap where I'm actually renting two
houses), so I should know whether I can have broadband after being in the
house for a week or so. I took the precaution of signing a lease for 3 months
with an option to extend, and I did that for exactly this reason. If I can't
have broadband I can bail out. The other half won't be impressed if we have
to move again in 3 months, but that's what we're going to do if the test
comes up negative.

I fully sympathise. Are there any broadband options for someone in your
position? A friend told me it's possible to receive broadband over a Foxtel
cable if the house has such a thing.